Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mini Happy Dance


I know way too many people who are obsessed with their weight and the number that shows up on the scale everyday, they really do weigh themselves... everyday. If you are one of those people, STOP! You are just going to drive yourself crazy and it's not healthy -- if you want to obsess about something, may I suggest joining the throngs and start catching up with the Kardashians, I hear they're good entertainment. OMG did you hear that Kim is engaged and has a 20.5-carat ring!? See... it's easy. Stop checking the scale everyday and start obsessing about something else.

Don't get me wrong, caring about your health is great! I am no trained professional and I don't have a license to give advice, but I can share what's working for me and maybe you'll find a variation that works for you too.** I just know that obsessing about a number on a scale everyday isn't going to do you any good; mentally, emotionally, or physically. There are so many different indicators of improvement, benefits, and weightloss. You may notice that your favorite pair of jeans are fitting a little looser because you are losing inches. You may notice that your knees aren't hurting as much because as you losing weight that was weighing down on your joints. You may notice improved endurance. Keep track of this little victories and celebrate them!

Instead of worrying about the number on the scale everyday, pick a day of the week (like Tuesday) and a time of the day (preferably just after waking up, going to the bathroom and before eating breakfast) and record your weight in a calendar or planner. That's what I do, and it works really well for me! I was out and about yesterday because we have family in town, but I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 2 lbs since last week. Woo! Happy dance time!!!

The number on the scale isn't always the best indicator of improvement because as you exercise more, you gain muscle and as we all know... muscle weighs more than fat. It may seem like the scale is lying to you at times, you may become discouraged and give up too soon! If you need to have proof that you're getting results may I suggest taking a flexible sewing tape measure and measure your waist, chest, hips, and thighs. Inches will be coming off as you increase your level of activity. Inches don't lie... but a number on a scale definitely can!

All-in-all, take care of you! Be healthy, fit and happy. Being active is fun and improving your health is a commendable goal! Learn to love yourself for you, and don't let a number be the determining factor of your self-worth.


** Disclaimer: Always consult with your physician. Again, I'm just writing about what's working for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment