Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Pearl That Broke the Camels Back


If you've met me, or interacted with me over a long period of time, you will come to notice 1 constant. Some people wear a wedding ring, some people where a bracelet or necklace. I always wear my pearl stud earrings. Always.

I love pearls. They are a precious gem that come from the ocean and I think they are the most stunning and beautiful thing in the world. Don't get me wrong, if ever I get married, I want a diamond engagement ring. But I plan to wear pearl earrings and string of pearls around my neck for the rest of my life (well, when the day comes that I can AFFORD a strand of pearls, ha!).

I was given my first pair of pearl earrings for my 21st birthday by my generous parents and I NEVER took them off. One day, I got home from classes and realized one was missing. I SCOURED campus and my classes for it, but alas, it was gone. That next year I received a new pair because everyone knows how much they meant to me and how devastated I was to lose the one. Then that pair was stolen about a year or so later. I was crushed, lost sleep and felt like the biggest idiot. I felt like I shouldn't own nice things and it was so out of my control.... I received my current pair of pearls for this last Christmas and I love them more than anything I have ever owned. I'm not a very materialistic person, but I am in love with my pearl earrings. Take away everything but my journals, quilt and pearl earrings. The rest is junk, but those few items are precious to me.

You get to look at the nasty bruise, but here's proof that I had both earrings a day ago. ALWAYS wearing them, even at the gym. They aren't getting stolen AGAIN! NO WAY!

Well last night... after I got home from the gym, I was in the shower, and I was rinsing out the shampoo and I realized... my left earring was gone. I jumped out of the shower, put on a towel and started ripping the apartment to shreds looking for it. I ran down to my car (nearly still in a towel, but I had the sense to put on sweats and a jacket) and tour it apart to no avail. It was gone. I called my gym and told them that if someone turns it in to PLEASE hold on it.

... then I got back to my apartment, and as my sister Rachel will confirm based on our conversations over the phone, I lost it. There are a lot of things going on in my life, and I try to control everything and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. And losing that pearl earring was so out of my control and it just made me realize the other things I was trying to hold too tightly to weren't in my control either. The pearl broke the camels back. And I cracked.

I was sobbing on the phone to my sister, who is a champ for listening to my insanity, and i kept listing all the crap going on or things coming up and then continuously repeating "AND I LOST THE PEARL!" I was a raving lunatic. 100% girl moment. Not classy.

When I woke up this morning after a restless night, I got ready in a flash and booked it out the door to my gym. I was going to find that earring if it killed me. I showed up, and my trainer Jimmy was there. He handed me a makeshift envelope that his co-worker constructed last night with my name on top... inside was my pearl earring. I could have cried. I didn't though. Jimmy just looked at me and seeing the relief he said "oh, so those are REAL pearls." I laughed and smiled.

Pearl earring found, and even though all the other issues still exist, the fact that I have such a precious item back is quite a relief. Now off to tackle the challenges and conquer the world.

TTFN

1 comment:

  1. I just love you that is all! I am glad you found them!

    ReplyDelete